Petrus Boonekamp Amaro
- Bitter liqueur originating in the Netherlands in the 1700s, now produced by Italian distiller, Gruppo Caffo
- Also called “l’amarissimo” in Italy, which translates to “the very bitter one”
- A base of neutral grain alcohol infused with approximately 20 herbs and spices including gentian, Thai ginger, licorice, fennel, and star anise; the full recipe is kept secret
- Aromatics are agitated in stainless steel for a minimum of 30 days
- A nose of fennel, vanilla, dried ginger, and oxidized white flowers leads to a bold and bitter palate of salted licorice candy, gentian, and black pepper with a dry finish that reverberates with eucalyptus
- 45% ABV
Traditionally enjoyed after meals, neat and at room temperature, this is a liqueur that pulls no punches; ideal for true lovers of bitter spirits or anyone looking for a digestive that can stand up to the heartiest of feasts.